🔶 Students read the whole book between sessions
🔶 Deep analysis of characters, themes and literary style of the book
🔶 Every third Wednesday at either 9:30 or 11:00
🔶 Three age groups: 8-10, 10-12/13, 13+
This book club has given us a reason to read some high quality texts that we might not have naturally chosen, thus extending our range of literature.
Ilana asks pertinent questions and has high expectations which extend and challenge the children’s thinking.“Parent
How do I know which group to choose?
I give rough age guides for each group. However, each child is an individual and I encourage you to look at the list of books for each group and think about how they will suit your child. It is about more than just reading level as some books do deal with more mature themes.
My child is dyslexic. Will these groups suit them?
Yes! There is no reading done during the session. It is entirely discussion based. Between sessions, your child can access the book in any way which suits them. They can read it themselves, listen to it as an audiobook, or have it read to them.
Does my child have to prepare anything ahead of the session?
Your child should read the full book before the session. I also provide some general questions for them to think about (such as what they thought about the book, a character of note, a theme they identified). They do not need to write anything down but can make notes if they feel more comfortable doing so.
The Nitty Gritty:
🔶 Live zoom sessions – interactive and discussion based
🔶 Maximum of 8 students per group
🔶 Each session costs £7.50
I am interested in groups for:
Groups for ages 8-10 years old
- September 8th – Harriet the Spy (Louise Fitzhugh)
- September 29th – Little House in the Big Woods (Laura Ingalls Wilder)
- October 20th – What Katy Did (Susan Coolidge)
- November 17th – The Butterfly Lion (Michael Morpurgo)
- December 8th – The Way to Sattin Shore (Phillipa Pearce)
Groups for ages 10 – 12/13
- September 15th – Bridge to Terabithia (Paterson)
- October 6th – I am David (Anne Holm)
- November 3rd – A Wrinkle in Time (Madeleine L’Engle)
- November 24th – Swallows and Amazons (Arthur Ransom)
- December 15th – The Box of Delights (John Masefield)
Groups for ages 13+
- September 22nd – The Mysterious Island (Jules Verne)
- October 13th – Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)
- November 10th – The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime (Mark Haddon)
- December 1st – Animal Farm (George Orwell)
If you would like to connect with other home educating parents to discuss books for children and gain insights into reading from specialists, please join this facebook group
Would you like your child to have practise of some of the analysis skills they are learning in the book group on their own? My guided reading journal will help them do this.